Today, most homeowners look for features that will look appealing, be functional, and add value to their home. Apart from that, they also want all the installations to be safe, sturdy, long lasting and cost-efficient too. With this in view, many property owners are now opting for glass balustrade and fencing, as they meet all these requirements.
These lend a very elegant look to the property, create a feeling of openness and help bring in a lot of natural light and allow a clear view of the outdoor spaces. There are various varieties such as frameless and semi-frameless installations and people wonder what the difference between these two are and whether the latter will have the same kind of elegance that frameless ones have.
Semi-Frameless Glass Balustrades – Facts
- The frameless structures don’t have any posts at all. On the other hand, semi-frameless glass balustrades and fencing is very easy to spot because the construction has posts that support glass panels on both the sides.
- In order to comply with existing Australian Standards Balustrading codes, they are required to have a top rail.
- The glass balustrade panels in the semi frameless fencing are secured with glazing wedge rubbers – these help secure the glass panels in the aluminium posts.
- You can choose posts of various colours ranging from Black, Grey Pearl, Mill Finish etc. This gives you the design flexibility to create the look you want on your property.
- These balustrades/fencing can be directly fixed to a timber or concrete surface and they can then be fastened using the flat-mount method or the core-in method.
- The glass panels are available in various modular sizes and the glass can be 970mm high. You have the option to choose between 10mm/8mm thickness glass.
- When you get a semi-frameless glass balustrade installed, you don’t have to worry about getting either a top/bottom rail.
- You can also choose to have powder-coated aluminium posts or exclusive semi frameless SS ones. When these are coupled an appropriate mounting system, they create an amazing fence/balustrade.
- One distinct benefit of a semi-frameless glass system is that it’s priced lower than a fully frameless one; despite this, the semi-frameless installations can easily complement the looks of even the most upscale properties, which makes it an excellent choice for all types of properties.
Glass fencing/balustrade installation process
It’s important that you hire the services of a credible company for the installation. They would be able to provide various options and solutions that are in line with your budget. This is the work process they would follow:
- The site would be measured accurately
- If in-ground posts are going to be installed, they will check with you whether there are any underground pipes and cables in that space. In case you aren’t too sure, the relevant authorities will have to be contacted
- There will be a very wide selection of glass panel sizes and you will be provided all the different options
- They will suggest the use of largely equal-sized glass panels as this helps create a streamlined look.
- If the fencing is being installed on tiles or pavers, they will ensure that concrete footing is installed underneath it; this provides the necessary support for installing the posts.
- If you are opting for semi-frameless glass pool fencing, the gates will also be less heavy compared to the ones used for fully-frameless installations.
- They will use toughened glass; this is much stronger and in case of any heavy impact, it won’t break into shards. The panel will only shatter into much smaller blunt pieces in case they are handled incorrectly or dropped.
- The design and installation will meet these Australian Standards:
- AS 1926 – Swimming Pool Barriers
- AS/NZ 2208 – Safety Glass Manufacturing
- AS 1288 – Glazing Installation Standards
For any more information about semi-frameless glass balustrades, and our products, call Quantum Frameless Glass at this number – 1300 282 248. You can also contact us using this online form and we will call you back shortly.
Thanks for reading,
Quantum Frameless Glass Team
1300 282 248