Balustrades are important safety installations that make elevated places safer for people. They are installed on balconies, stairs, terraces, and other such spaces that are considered high risk for accidental falls or trips. There are different kinds of balustrades available on the market, some are made from glass while others are made from stainless steel wires. Most property owners don’t know which option is right for them. Here’s a look at the differences between these two choices:
These features are made from glass and have a supporting metal structure. Some have full frames for each panel, some have partial frames, while others have no frames at all. All three options are popular with homeowners and are often used in commercial spaces as well. Here’s a look at the pros and cons of this structure:
- Strong – Glass balustrades are made from tempered, laminated glass so they can support a considerable amount of weight or pressure without breaking. This glass is a hard, but can absorb impact without breaking.
- Sleek – Glass looks sleek and modern, which is why this material is so popular with homeowners. The clean, streamlined design easily complements different kinds of architecture. Glass can be used in both indoor and outdoor applications so it is very versatile.
- Clear View – Glass balustrade, especially the frameless ones, provide uninterrupted views of your surroundings. If you want safety but don’t want to disrupt the view, this option is better than stainless steel wire options.
- Safety – Glass panels completely block access and have no large gaps in between them, which is different from metal railing. This design makes it safer because children can’t slip past the gaps in the balustrade.
- Wind – While it provides clear views, it does obstruct wind. This makes it perfect for coastal areas that are extremely breezy . You can still enjoy the view without having to worry about the breeze.
- Maintenance – Glass is very easy to maintain and can be cleaned with a simple mild soap solution and a squeegee.
- Longevity and resilience – Glass is weather-resistant, doesn’t become corroded, isn’t impacted by termites and borers or fungal infestations and rust.
Regardless of how you look at it, this balustrade option is a great choice for all kinds of properties, especially homes and apartments.
Stainless Steel Wire Balustrades
This is another popular option for high places like balconies and terraces. Stainless steel is a very resilient material, capable of withstanding tough Australian weather, changes in temperature, and heavy loads or impacts. Here’s a look at the pros and cons of stainless steel railings:
- Allows Wind – While glass balustrades block some of the wind, stainless steel wire options allow it to pass through the gaps, which doesn’t make it a good option for extremely breezy areas.
- Maintenance – Steel wire is resilient, but exposure to moisture and salty air can result in corrosion over time. The material can also lose its luster and impact the overall appearance of the property.
- View – This installation will block some of the view from your balcony or terrace. The tailing bars are clearly visible to increase safety and that hinders the view.
If you want to know more about glass balustrades, fencing, and other products or want to install them on your property, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Quantum Frameless Glass. You can call 1300 298 898 or contact us through this online form.
Thanks for reading,
Quantum Frameless Glass Team
1300 282 248